Life Stage Gift Planner™
At this stage in life, some of the financial issues you may find yourself dealing with are:
- Comprehensive estate- and wealth-transfer planning
- Understanding the transfer-tax system
- Learning about wealth-transfer techniques
- Active financial planning
- Increasing cash flow—charitable gift planning helps minimize taxes
- Shifting to income-producing assets
- Assisting children with debt through annual gifts
- Assisting grandchildren with education expenses
- Concern with the financial future of the next generations
- Using trusts and wealth-transfer strategies to achieve goals
- Taking advantage of charitable trusts to optimize family wealth transfers and maximize tax benefits
For the charitably inclined, certain types of gifts can provide solutions to taxing problems:
If you would like to make a substantial gift to CHUM but you do not have the current disposable income or assets to do so now, consider a charitable bequest.
Cash, checks, and credit cards
A gift of cash is easy to make, and the gift is not subject to gift or estate tax. A contribution of cash or by a check that is postmarked in December is deductible for that tax year—even if CHUM receives it in January—provided the account against which the check was written had sufficient funds to cover it in December. A contribution by credit card must be made by December 31 in order to be deductible for that tax year.
Charitable remainder unitrust
Provides for annual payments to the designated beneficiary(ies) of a specified percentage—at least 5% of the value of the trust as it is valued each year. Since the value may vary year to year, the payments may also vary.
Charitable remainder annuity trust
Provides for payment of a fixed-dollar amount—annually or at more frequent intervals—to the designated beneficiary(ies). The amount must equal at least 5% of the initial fair-market value of the trust.
Gifts of retirement plans at death
Retirement-plan benefits left to heirs are often more highly taxed than other assets. Consider giving them to CHUM instead to make a meaningful gift and leave other assets to heirs.
© Pentera, Inc. Planned giving content. All rights reserved.